Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Dreams on Distant Horizons

Over on the KDP Community forums, someone posed this question:

"What would really happen if you hit it big as a writer?"

I find it humorous that I'm sitting here daydreaming about this now, while my website falls steadfast into the "under construction" territory of the internet.

But if money were no object, and I continued to be able to pursue this dream, what exactly would I do?


The Entertainment

Most of the people who've read several of my blog posts likely know that the greatest joy I could find is through entertaining people.  I've tried my hands at video games (and failed so far - but I'll get it right eventually!), as well as acting, way back before there were cameras.  My biggest problem with both of those areas is that I don't really have the skill to adequately perform the tasks at hand.

But with a steady income, I could at least pursue the first one a little more fervently.  From the ashes, I would rise like a nerdy phoenix.  While I don't believe I'll ever be a code-monkey, I could definitely work on a game from a designer/producer role.  My imagination has always had the better of me, and it flows in much the same unyielding manner when I'm daydreaming about games as it does for the book series.  If I had a little more cash to lean on, I feel like that would be a dam that would burst on a nearly monthly basis.

I'd like to eventually have my own video game development house.  We'd make smaller, intimate titles that would focus on my series (plural).  I prefer to think the quality of independent games have been better than most of the big publishing houses lately.  It would help me to tackle some of the individuals within my universe that don't get enough time in the spotlight.  And I think that it'd really put a smile on some faces.

My long-time friend and I have always had the idea to have a kind of conglomerate nerd haven set up somewhere out here in Bucks County.  It'd be space themed, and go hand in hand with the sci-fi novels I'll be putting out in the future.  Inside, you'd have arcade games, a comic store, a commissary, and the main attraction, a laser tag center.  We've got a couple laser tag places around here, but I'd want to really knock it out of the park with mine.  I'd develop it so that it was part of a story, and there were multiple arenas.  It would flow with the novels that I'd written, leaning on that plot for substance.  I imagine a scenario where before every match, you let the players vote on which arena they would play in.  Then, during special events, you'd open all three arenas up to each other, and have massive battles.  Again, my imagination gets away from me sometimes.

I wouldn't mind making a few licensed mini-golf courses.  Seeing some of my brands on the putting green (in my mind) looks fantastic.  And then that would lead into the long, off-in-the-distance make believe goal I have: building a Tellest based theme park.  This is the dream that will never come true, unless I win the powerball tonight.  Somewhere in PA or NJ, there would be these tall, artificial mountains - they'd house maintenance tunnels, staff rooms, etc., and they'd also surround the park.  Inside, you'd see sweeping dragon rollercoasters, foreboding castles and worlds of magic.  Outside the park, a permanent renaissance faire would sell their wares.  It's such an amazing dream, that even if though it will never come to fruition, it still has a very special, very real place in my mind.


The Education

I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a wasted education.  However, it is very easy to waste your time.  Because I don't have the most glamorous of day jobs, and my current degree is not very impressive, it has been a very slow crawl up to lower-middle class for me.  Even if I made a little bit more money, I could pay off the debt I have, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable with going back to school.

The great thing is, nowadays, there are a lot of jobs that don't care what degree you have, as long as you have it.  I'm in Information Systems, and my degree is actually in Journalism.  If I went back to school, I'd try for a BS in English.  I feel like my writing could always have a bit of improvement (compare my first book to my third one).

Beyond that, I have to look far into the future.  Eventually, there will be little Michaels and Rhiannas running around.  They're going to need an education as well, and I'd like to be able to offer them the best, even if that's not what they want to do with their life.


The Philanthropy

One of the greatest feelings that there are in life is the notion that you have, even in some small way, made a difference in someone else's life.  I try to be charitable when I can.

My family, and friends of my family, have had diabetes, colon cancer, multiple sclerosis, breast cancer, and so forth and so on. It would be nice to be able to put forth a more substantial effort to affront terrible diseases.  If I never have to watch a loved one die from illness, that day would still be too soon.

Going back to education, I wouldn't mind setting up a scholarship some day.  Somewhere out there, there's a bright kid who doesn't have the money to go to college, and he's skilled in so many ways that he doesn't understand yet.  I'd like to give an opportunity to the people that need them.

I say this as though you can't make a difference without some massive stockpile of cash, but that is of course not the case.  Anything that you can put toward helping your fellow man is a wonderful thing, for both parties involved.  There's always going to be someone out there with less than you, and as I said before, there is no greater gift than that of giving.


There are plenty of other things that I would do if I was financially liberated.  Weddings, house renovations, a new car... even the rich somehow find ways to spend metric butt-tons (that would be the opposite of imperial variety) of their money.  But those are tales for another time...

What are your dreams?







No comments:

Post a Comment